Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Album # 4 Deftones - Deftones

Generally a self titled album is usually the bands first album. That is not the case here. The Deftones first album was called "Adrenaline" and was released in 1995. This album titled "deftones" was released in 2003 and happens to be the bands 4th album. The Deftones have been one of my favorite bands over the last thirteen or fourteen years. I feel like I kind of grew up with these guys! I guess most would call them heavy metal, or even that term I despise "nu-metal." I like to think of them as hard and I mean very hard rock. I said earlier that nobody can scream like Bert from The Used, however I must immediately take that back, because after listening to this album in it's entirety, lead singer Chino Moreno wins the prize! His growl is as vicious as a lion and his whispers as gentle as an angel. In between all the rough house metal are some catchy hooks on songs like "Minerva" and "Hexagram." I may have to coin "When Girls Telephone Boys" as my favorite song on the album. It may take you weeks to discover what the lyrics are saying, so I'll sum it up for you...A relationship gone wrong, and the guy is pissed and wants the world to know about it! If anything download that song, put on some headphones and turn it up to 11! I was stuck between giving this 3.5 or 4 missed outs. Upon first listen in it's entirety I want to give it 3.5, but know after repeated listens it may be a 4. Anyway, overall a fantastic album to help you pass time while painting the bedroom walls bloody red.

Recommended Downloads: "Hexagram," "Minerva," "Good Morning Beautiful," "Lucky You," "When Girls Telephone Boys."

What I was doing while listening: Painting

Missed Out Rating: 3.5 out of 5 Missed Outs

No comments: