Thursday, February 5, 2009

Album # 7 Burn - The Red

I cannot believe that I have only listened to seven albums so far this year. However this is my case in point, I usually spend all my time skipping from one song to the next, from one artist to the next and so on. I very rarely listen to an album in it's entirety, and I'm loving this experiement so far. The Red are an accoustic rock act from Los Angeles that according to all my recent research may no longer be together. It's unfortunate because they were one of the best unsigned to a major label bands I've ever heard. The Red is mainly lead singer and songwriter Marco Aiello's baby as he is the only constant on their three albums. This album "Burn" was their last release and came out in 2005. The album was given out for free at shows in exchange for your email address. This album has so many good songs you'd think The Red was bigger than they ever became. Their biggest claim to fame was the song off this album "Don't Help Me," as it was featured on NBC's The Biggest Loser reality show. The theme of the album deals with relationships gained and lost and opens with a real heart wrencher called "Want." Marco's songs usually deal with romance and it's darker side. The only song on this album released to radio as a single is track #7 called "Run." It's a real gem, that whenever I played it for someone brought up comparisons to U2 for some odd reason. I believe my favorite song on the album is "Jacie" which is just a basic pop love song that sends shivers down my spine everytime I hear it. The album is made up of mostly accoustic guitars, light drumming and Marco's vocals. There is even a song sung in Itlaian which I'm sure most ladies would fall in love with. In any event I really wish I could tell you where to get the album, but it seems the bands website http://www.thered.com/ has been taken down. If you are even slightly interested just send me an email at themissedouts@gmail.com and I'd gladly burn a copy for you.

Recommended downloads: Not available for download

What I was doing while listening: Driving to and from work

Missed Out Rating: 4 out of 5 Missed Outs

No comments: