Monday, February 2, 2009

Album # 6 Conor Oberst - Conor Oberst

It's happened. I have listened to the first album that deserves a 5 Missed Outs rating! As anyone vaguely familiar with me, you will understand Conor Oberst is one of my favorite artists of all time. Therefore most of you may think, well of course it got a 5 MO rating, it's Conor! Conor or not, this album deserves the 5 MO's. Conor is a master story teller, so I thought I'd review this album a little different. I summarize the story of each song and see if that intrigues anyone enough to go out and download a couple of songs from iTunes, or to purchase the entire album!

Track 1 - Cape Canaveral
Imagine having an older, wiser friend that you look to as a mentor/teacher. This song tells the story of sitting with that person, sharing conversations, laughter and memory all while watching the United States rockets take off in Florida at Cape Canaveral.

Track 2 - Sausalito
Vacation anyone? Living on a houseboat with the waves rocking you to sleep? Lyrics from the song: "We should move to Sausalito
Living's easy on a house boat
Let the ocean rock us back and forth to sleep
And in the morning with the suns rise
Look in the water, see the blue sky
As if heaven has been laid there at our feet"

Track 3 - Get Well Cards
Without a doubt, my FAVORITE song on the album and probably my favorite song in the last 10 years. I can't remember a song I have purposely listened to more than this one, if ever. The song is the story of being in a relationship that's on a break. The song finds the singer on vacation in a foreign country missing his girl. He's trying to send a card, saying he's sorry, saying he's missing her and wants her in his life. However every day he walks down to the beach he sees the postman passed out sleeping on the sand. This leads him to wonder if she'll ever get the card. If anyone who has ever read this blog wants to hear one of the greatest songs ever written, make sure you download this song! Lyrics from the song:
"I want to be your happiness
I want to be your common sense pain
Wrap your head in a picket fence
Rebuild after the hurricane

Right there, that's the postman sleeping in the sand
He's got a letter to deliver, but I can't stay mad
Right there, that's the postman sleeping in the sand
He's got a get-well-card to deliver
He's going to do it by hand, he's going to do it by hand"

Track 4 - Lenders In The Temple
The Catholic religion is a common theme in Conor Oberst songs. It finds it's way into more songs then I can remember both in his solo career and with Bright Eyes. This song builds a vision around the bible story where Jesus overturned the tables of those who were selling goods inside of the holy temple. The song tells of how far we've crumbeled as a society and leans towards believing that if Jesus were around, he'd be a bit unhappy with the current state of things.

Track - 5 Danny Callahan
A good song, however a little sad. Danny Callahan was a little boy dying of cancer when he met Conor Oberst. This song tells the story of the little boy and touches on the relationship of a mother and son going through that tragedy.

Track 6 - I Don't Want To Die In The Hospital
Does this song need anymore explanation than what you find in the title? If it does, here is a verse from the song:
"Yeah, I don’t give a damn what those doctors say
I don’t want to spend another lonesome day
I don’t want to die in the hospital
You got to take me back outside
They don’t let you smoke and you can’t get drunk
All there is to watch are these soap operas
I don’t want to die in the hospital
You got to take me back outside"

Track 7 - Eagle On A Pole
Infidelity takes over the subject of this song. Drunken nights, forgetting where you are and showing up to be greeted by the person you cheated on waiting for you at the front door. No fun.

Track 8 - NYC Gone, Gone
Conor makes his home in both Ohmaha, Nebraska and New York City. This is a short 1 minute song about being fed up with the hustle and bustle of NY and wanting to head to Mexico for a vacation. Side note this whole album was recorded in Mexico, just south of Mexico city.

Track 9 - Moab
Many other reviewers have called this the best song on the album. It's a great song, but I still think "Get Well Cards" is better. This is a road travel song, the story being there is nothing that the road cannot heal. Try it out, next time you need a break, get in your car and hit the road for a few hours!

Track 10 - Valle Mistico (Reubens Song)
Reuben worked at the house in Mexico where Conor recorded this album. This song is just Reuben blowing some sort of blow horn for 20 seconds or so.

Track 11 - Souled Out!!!
A great song with mistakes and all making a joke out of heaven being full. You can die, and you could have been good, but this song hints that maybe heaven is already sold out and there wont be any room left for any of us?

Track 12 - Milk Thistle
Anyone familiar with Conor or Bright Eyes knows that Conor has had his difficulties with alcohol. Milk Thistle is the herb that doctors recommend for alcoholics with liver problems. Milk Thistle is supposed to support liver growth. This is a love song written to the power of Milk Thistle. Lyrics from the song:

"Milk thistle, milk thistle
Let me down slow
Just help me go slow
I've been hurrying on
I was poised for greatness
I was down and out
I keep death at my heels
Like a basset hound
If i go to heaven
I'll be bored as hell
Like a crying baby
At the bottom of a well"

So there you have it, the best album by far I have listened to this year!

Recommended downloads: JUST BUY THE WHOLE THING!

What I was doing while listening: Laying on the couch and driving to and from work.

Missed Out Rating: 5 out of 5 Missed Outs


No comments: